Right from the welfare and economic standpoint, dehorning of cattle is highly beneficial. It is very important to understand the proper methods of dehorning in conjunction with pain control which can result in low stress and positive procedure for both the calf as well as operation. Consult with a veterinarian as it will be useful in developing protocol which will work best for the particular operation. One can make use of a calf dehorner for safely removing the horns of the calf.
Benefits Of Dehorning
There have been different benefits of dehorning process if stated properly. Some of the benefits of dehorning process are as follows.
- Reduction bruising of carcasses by penmates.
- More and more space in feedbunk.
- Better transport with facility and right during shipping.
- Decrease trauma which can be caused by dominant and aggressive animals.
- Decrease risk of injury to personnel.
- Increase market value of feedlot cattle.
- Option By Age
Dehorning can be done in the proper procedure and certainly at the right age. Here are the dehorning options given by age as follows.
Under 2 weeks of age
- Disbudding tube
- Electric dehorner
- Caustic Paste
Up to 1 year of age
Dehorner is the perfect option in case of calves that are up to 1 year of age.
Yearlings and older
For yearlings and older, this should be performed by veterinarian due to the risk of infection and hemorrhage risk. The procedure may include
- Surgical hand saw
- Obstetric wire saw
- Large Calf Dehorner( If the horns are small)
- Guillotine (hydraulic or manual).
- Electric saw.